About the Platform
As a PhD student at Karolinska Institutet, you are entitled to have a mentor, but we all know how hard it was to establish new connections, especially during pandemics.
Therefore, the DSA in collaboration with KI career service has created a virtual meeting place for you to find a suitable mentor within or outside of academia willing to give you advice for any question you might have.
What is Mentoring?
“Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be”Eric Pasloe
What Is In It For You?
There are many benefits to having a mentor! These can include:
- Expansion of your professional network, networking, and interpersonal skills
- Development of your written and verbal communication
- A greater sense of motivation which will help you to be more proactive
- Some mentees gain tangible experiences such as workplace visits, shadowing, interview experience, placements and even a graduate job
- A great addition to your CV to show connections to industry and your willingness to develop and explore your career.
Your mentor will be with you every step of the way as you explore your thoughts and aspirations. The partnerships are led by the mentee; so make the most of this experience and ask for any support you may need.
What Are The Mentors Like?
- Our mentors come from a large variety of backgrounds, are Alumni of Karolinska Institutet, and have studied exactly what you are doing now.
- Others are professionals from the local area and even from other countries.
- The mentors on the platform are not as scary as you think! They have signed up specifically to volunteer to support you in a practical way that will positively benefit you.